Publication Date: 10-2020
Governments worldwide have pledged trillions of dollars for economic recovery from the crisis triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic. Without a targeted approach, these recovery programs can lead to a lock-in of high-carbon technologies. This would block the transformation toward climate neutrality that is necessary to prevent a climate crisis. The Group of 20 (G20) should implement the following policy measures:
- Remove fossil fuel subsidies within three years.
- Target tax rebates and subsidy programs on labor-intensive, low emissions technology.
- Introduce policies to promote the continuation of behavioral changes acquired during the pandemic regarding online communication, meeting, and teaching tools.
- Regulate tourism providers to achieve zero emissions.
- Establish the infrastructure for low-carbon land transport and energy supply.